Monday 2 February 2015

Input Meets... Natalie Rogers




What Genre/s of music do you listen to?
I’m a big fan of Pop, R&B, Hip Hop music. I also love 70s/80s Funk. I grew up listening to musicians like Earth, Wind, and Fire; Michael Jackson; and Kool & the Gang. I have a thing for jazz too. Anything that has a poppy, soulful vibe – that’s the stuff!




First album you bought ?
 

I think the first album I bought was the first Spice Girls album. I would listen to that on my CD player for hours. This was obviously the mid 90’s haha.



First concert you went to ?
NSYNC!! I was an NSYNC girl.


Have you ever been to the UK? (if yes did you perform here ?
I haven’t! But I would love to go there to perform or even just to visit.


Have you ever performed outside of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania if no tell us more about playing in the US and other places you have played there !
As a solo performer, I sang at weddings in North Carolina and Washington, Pennsylvania. When I was part of Heinz Chapel Choir at the University of Pittsburgh, we traveled to Peru one year and the Balkans another year. In the Balkans, we had 5 concerts in 6 different countries in just 12 days. It was absolutely amazing.




What experiences did you gain from singing at your school choir and North Allegheny's Honors Chamber Choir ? 
With Chamber Choir, we had the honor to travel to Disney World and perform. That was the first time I had ever been there. And to be able to sing there made it even better. NA’s school choir is run by a couple with a lot of experience. My director was very talented and meticulous – he wanted everything to sound perfect, and it did, but it was hard work. It was refreshing to be a part of a choir that could produce such a beautiful sound, and we performed a variety of genres. Chamber choir is a smaller, more condensed choir, so each person had more responsibility. And the songs we performed were a bit more difficult than the school’s bigger choir.



Your Bio tells us that you where a wedding singer while also attending the University of Pittsburgh, how did you handle juggling being a student an singing at weddings ?

It actually wasn’t hard at all. Part of my study at school was taking voice lessons and practicing on my own, so preparing for the weddings fit pretty nicely with my studies. Plus, it helped pay for rent and bills J

Where Was Your fist gig ? what was the experience like ? how old was you when you performed your first gig ?
I think the first time I sang in public as a soloist was at a recital in high school. My voice teacher in high school would have a recital in every May to showcase her students. I think I was about 17. I was sweating bullets before I had to go on hahaha. And to this day I still do that! I get so nervous leading up to the time that I have to perform, but once I get on stage and grab the mic, I’m ready. I think I first sang in front of people in 3rd or 4th grade. I was about 9 or 10. I was involved with choir and plays in grade school. I didn’t have solos back then though! I was too shy haha.



How was the experience of participating in Mr. Smalls Theater's Real Life Music Camp?

At Mr. Small’s, I learned more about songwriting and the recording studio process. At the camp, we would all divide into little groups to form bands in order to write, record, and perform songs. It was awesome! One of the leaders of the camp was Liz Berlin of Rusted Root. I had the pleasure to work with her. She’s wonderful!


How frequently do you Gig/practice? what are some of the local venues on your circuit ?
Ever since I graduated, I haven’t really gigged anywhere besides one or two weddings. It’d be nice to gig at least once a month once I get a band together!


What is the name of the first song you wrote? what is it about? and what inspired you to write it?
“Disco Ball” is the first song I ever officially wrote, and I wrote it just a few months ago. One day I was just humming this melody in my head, and from there I wrote the instrumentals. I always wanted to write a more funky pop song. I wanted to find the perfect song title to match the melody, and a disco ball came into my head. It’s a metaphor for having fun and having a good time – just letting loose and enjoying yourself.


Do you have family and friends who support you?
My family and friends definitely support me. I’ll come across acquaintances or strangers that ask me what I want to do as a career, and I tell them I love singing and I want to pursue that and music. And they’ll be quite condescending and assume I’m not going to get anywhere with it. It’s always annoying to have your dreams get shot down by someone who doesn’t even know your voice. So it’s really comforting that my friends and family support me. A lot of my friends are musically-oriented as well, so they understand what it’s like to be a musician and to have that dream to pursue something artsy.





Do any of them play music and have you played in any bands Ect.. with friends ?
I’ve sung in choirs with friends, but I haven’t written and recorded anything with friends. I am in the process of trying to form a band, so hopefully that works out!


Do you set yourself targets to reach musically? E.g play so many gigs a month or write/record so many songs a month?

Write now, I am a one-man band. I write, record, and perform everything. It’s a bit more difficult to get things going when it’s just one person. When I first started writing, I was aiming for a song a month. I hope as I get more practice with recording and writing, I can maybe get out a song every two weeks. And I haven’t gigged with a band yet so that’s a goal in itself!


what was the feedback and experience you gained from competing in Kean Idol Adult Vocals Competition and auditioning for American Idol ?
Kean Idol gave me more experience with becoming comfortable singing in front of people. From American Idol, I learned TV shows like that are a lottery – especially American Idol. I was watching other people in front of me audition before it was my turn. I was listening to a group of 4 people – each person sang individually for maybe 30-60 seconds and then the producers picked which person would move on. Out of those 4 people, they picked the person with the worst voice. It’s all about the ratings for television – pure crap!




How did you feel when you reached the semi-finals of Campus Superstar

 I was actually surprised! The competition was amongst a few universities in Pittsburgh, including schools that are actually aimed for the performing arts, so I knew I had some tough competition. But I was so excited to be honored for that achievement and considered as talented as some of those other students. Everyone in that competition is good.


What was it like for you as a musician preforming at Heinz Hall with Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra featuring Brian Stokes Mitchell
He is absolutely adorable. And so talented! I’m not huge into Broadway, but it was so cool to be on the same stage at the same time with a big name in the Broadway scene. And the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra is amazing. It was such an honor to have the opportunity to perform with highly acclaimed musicians. And all of the other students that were asked to participate were also highly talented singers and performers. Heinz Hall in itself is one of the most popular concert halls in Pittsburgh, so to be able to say that I sang on the stage of Heinz Hall is pretty neat.



Check out Natalie Rogers Social Media Sites Here

Website - http://natalierogers91.wix.com/natalierogers


Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ronaingomar



YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/NatalieRogers7



Google+ - https://plus.google.com/103366892101999793876

Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/ronaingomar


Don't Forget to like, follow and subscribe for more interviews and videos of the best up and coming musicians from around the world!!

Twitter - twitter.com/IMNPro



Blogger - http://inputmusicnetwork.blogspot.co.uk/



Input Meets... Tommaso Lotti Coming 9th February
if you are a musician and would like to be featured in a interview get in touch with us at - inputmusicnetwork@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment